Article Image

IPFS News Link • Arizona's Top News

MVD urges Arizonans to consider getting Voluntary Travel I.D.

• Arizona Department of Transportation

MVD urges Arizonans to consider getting Voluntary Travel I.D.

As 2020 deadline approaches, airports and TSA help spread the word


PHOENIX – Arizonans who plan to use their driver license or ID card to get through security checkpoints at U.S. airports and other restricted, federally-controlled facilities should take action to get an Arizona Voluntary Travel ID through the Arizona Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Division.

The Transportation Security Administration will provide MVD informational flyers at its airport checkpoints in Flagstaff, Phoenix Mesa-Gateway, Phoenix Sky Harbor, Tucson International and Yuma International. The flyers advise passengers that starting Oct.1, 2020, standard credentials won't be accepted by the TSA. 

"Now is a great time to get a Voluntary Travel ID, because the federal deadline gets closer every day," said MVD Director Eric Jorgensen. "MVD is making this process simple. Customers can go to and make an office appointment. The website provides information about what documents that customers should bring with them to meet the REAL ID requirements for the Voluntary Travel ID. Appointments also help MVD offices run more efficiently, helping to get customers out of line and safely on the road."

vidThe Voluntary Travel ID is an Arizona driver license or ID card that meets the additional identification requirements of the federal REAL ID Act of 2005.  Standard Arizona licenses or ID cards do not conform to the federal REAL ID requirements because of a state law that says those steps must be taken voluntarily by the license or card holder.

The cost is $25 for renewals and first-time issues. Per federal law, the credential is valid for eight years, in most cases. Customers whose photos need to be updated in the near future may wish to get the Voluntary Travel ID.

Forms of identification  required for a Voluntary Travel ID include one document such as a birth certificate or a passport that proves identity; one document that proves a Social Security number such as a Social Security card or W-2 form, and two documents such as utility bills or bank statements that prove Arizona residency.

For a list of examples of identification documents and for additional information, please visit the Voluntary Travel ID section of the ADOT website at

1 Comments in Response to

Comment by PureTrust
Entered on:

An ID is not you, the man or woman. The ID card is not you, the man or woman. If you sign paperwork for an ID, get a copy. Is there a Government person who is a signer along with you? If not, the ID is not a contract or agreement except if there is agreement stated in the paperwork you sign. If Gov. uses the paperwork to say that you made an agreement with them, let them show the agreement. - In the USA, we have the right to travel. The ID simply makes it easier and faster to be acknowledged as a friendly traveler. The ID adds nothing to the right to travel, and it takes nothing away. After all, you, the man or woman, is the one who has the rights. Not the ID. But, "they" will try to use it to control you. Stop them the moment that they do so. If you don't, the whole country will fall further into civil law. In the future they will say, if you have the ID, you have no right to own a gun.