Article Image

IPFS News Link • Voting - Election Integrity

'Unacceptable': Trump Campaign Slams Commission's Refusal To Hold Earlier Debates

• https://www.zerohedge.com, by Caden Pearson

In a statement, former President Donald Trump's campaign representatives Chris LaCivita and Susie Wiles intensified criticism of the body that sponsors all general election presidential debates. Previously, they had requested debates to be held "much earlier" than the commission's planned first debate in mid-September.

The Trump campaign repeated its argument that voters deserve to hear from both candidates before they begin casting their votes.

"The Presidential Debate Commission's schedule does not begin until after millions of Americans will have already cast their ballots. This is unacceptable, and by refusing to move up the debates, they are doing a grave disservice to the American public who deserve to hear from both candidates before voting begins," the statement read.

The statement comes after the nonprofit commission told Fox News that it would stick with its debate schedule, which was released last November. Four debates are planned: three presidential and one vice presidential.

The first presidential debate takes place on Sept. 16 at Texas State University in San Marcos; the second takes place on Oct. 1 at Virginia State University in Petersburg; and the third takes place on Oct. 9 at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City.

The commission said that it "is proceeding with production and broadcast plans at its four debate sites as also announced on November 20, 2023."

The Trump campaign had pressed the commission to provide debates sooner and with greater frequency, particularly now that both 2024 contenders have secured the necessary delegates to become their respective parties' presumptive nominees.


Agorist Hosting